Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Tuesday, October 24, 2006

How do you mitigate noise?

I am not a scientist, but I guess I have some training in empirical sciences. So when I read or hear a technical word being used, I try to ask myself what it means, and what it does. When I hear that the DNR's mandate is to find an ATV trail that will "mitigate" disruptions to other user groups, I have to ask: What does mitigation look like?

Some of us are looking into real world efforts to mitigate (or not) damage to wetlands, trails, etc. But what about users of quiet? Hikers, bikers, birdwatchers? How do you mitigate the consequences of the natural soundscape being disturbed? Are there any examples? Standards? Are there any proposals? Can we point to success in mitigating the sound of snowmobiles, for example? Anywhere?

No comments: