Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Deciphering Loons....

As you know, one loon remains on our lake this October. I heard her making the "where are you?" call this morning. So what is the story? This look is hanging around much later than the last two years.

My first thought is that its mate took off-One of John Bate's correspondents reported large numbers of loons gathering on Trout Lake. But why has this one stayed behind?

I went through my loonwatch information for a clue: The information guide says that adults fly off in mid september, but chicks hang around nearly until ice comes in, practicing flight. Could this be this year's chick? It doesn't seem particularly small. It is dressed in the "fall" loon colors. And I really didn't notice that our pair had any chicks this year. I didn't see the nest. I assumed that they just used the lake for fishing. They do behave territorially, however, chasing off other loons, not to mention swans, geese, and ducks.

I am going to study these folks a little more this coming year. I know so little, but I want to learn.

No comments: