Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Monday, January 16, 2006

North of Oswego

This weekend I made two completely different ski excursions. The first was a "bushwacking" trip north of Oswego lake to the junction of High Lake and Partridge Lane along an old logging road. "Bushwacking" just means making your own cross country ski trail, ideally following old logging roads, and getting lost at least once. (For a bushwacker, the purpose of logging is to make old logging roads). The snow was perfect for this kind of skiing, there was enough snow to take me above most of the downed limbs, and not too much to make it a slog by sinking down. Some folks ask why I don't use snowshoes. There are times (like when I have to go around a bunch of downed trees in the middle of a balsam growth) that I wish I had snowshoes instead. But snowshoes means a lot of work both ways. With skis, I make a trail one way that I can glide back on my way home. And then there are those times when there is a crust on the snow, and you can glide through the forest magically...

More on the trip to follow...

No comments: