Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Monday, January 16, 2006

North of Oswego, part 2

I didn't cross the lake, but drove to the other side and started my trip from there. This time, I made it up the little hill without falling. I see the timber sale goes all the way to the road, in view of the lake. This saddens me as well, especially if they take any of the pine growing along the lake. There is a very nice, inviting mixed forest to start out the trip.

I notice how basically, balsam is growing up underneath all of the aspen in the old-aspen part of the forest. I wonder how this will change, and if the occasional tall spruce and white pine will be left alone.

The main "trail" is basically a straight line going northwest, but there are numerous fun dead ends and side trails that will take you over lots of varied terrain. Today, I stuck to the main trail till I came to the older, white pine part of the forest.

Before that, I went by a red pine plantation that needs thinning. (see, I am not against logging)
Then, I take a dip down into a deeper, older part of the forest. The white pine here must be over 120 years old, not necessarily old.

The forester in charge of the timber sale says that most of the white pine will not be cut, but openings will be made for new white pine regeneration. I took some pictures of the area so we can post before and after logging photographs. I can't argue with more new pine growing, but I would like it to grow for a purpose-to make older pine forests! What is the purpose if we keep cutting them 100 years early?

If this forest looks so old and mysterious at 120 years , what would it look like at 200?
Secondly, I am worried about stressing the existing and remaining trees. If tall trees are vulnerable to wind, isn't it better technically to leave old trees, even if they aren't at their healthiest, to provide a windbreak?

I don't know the answer to these questions. The forester in charge of the sale is generally very open and reasurring, though some of these issues are philosophical, and not technical. I only know the feeling a place has, admittedly, not a very persuasive reason not to cut a forest. That feeling is going to go away. I encourage everyone to find their favorite "old" forest and document the feeling it gives you. It may be changed sooner than you think.

No comments: