Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Thursday, May 26, 2005

Nixon Creek report

A long canoe trip up Nixon Creek to Nixon lake...I originally intended to stop at the beaver dam, but there was no wind and no bugs. The sweet gale was blooming. I saw a bald eagle sitting on the beaver dam on the way up, probably waiting for the sucker run. The same eagle sitting on the dam on the way back. The dam is engineered in a portage-friendly manner, a great improvement over the beaver dams in the Conover area of the Wisconsin River. Two loons popped up next to the canoe in the Manitowish above Fishtrap dam. I saw two deer alternatively swimming and walking through the muck to cross the Nixon and climb up one of the bare hills on the other side. One looked very pregnant.
A big timber cut just north of Fishtrap dam meant I had to go a long way before I could no longer hear human noise. Thereafter, I harvested a pretty good crop of quiet. Unfortunately, I squandered a large part of this resource by thinking too much. I am happy to report however that some of this quiet was used very well, and the area immediately grew another crop after I left. Speaking of the timber cut, I talked with one of the foresters responsible for the sale and she said the long term goal was to grow more white pine and red pine in that area. It seems that they are leaving a lot of big trees, which makes me happy.

No comments: