Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Wednesday, June 15, 2005

To Fishtrap Dam from High Lake

I took a recent paddle from High Lake to Fishtrap Dam-I forgot how nice those canoe campsites are on High Lake. I hiked along the snowmobile trail in that area on another day to see if I could get to them, but I ran out of time. I will leave that for another day!

You can get an education on thoughtful lakehouse construction by canoing along High and Fishtrap lakes. Some homeowners-even of fairly large houses- really care about making sure their houses blend in with the surroundings. (There is a great example on the north shore of Fishtrap, on your right hand side after you get on the lake)... Others do everything they can to say "Look at Me! I have a Big House on the Lake!" Some people cut down trees to have a "view of the lake", but I suspect more cut down trees so people on the lake have a view of them.

I have a few more thoughts on the subject:

Hey, lake shore homeowner: No matter how "good" your architect was, or how much you spent, if you chopped down most of the trees and planted grass down to the water, your property looks like a lesion on a dog's butt..in a few years, you will realize you own the equivalent of a half a million dollar mullet. Go out right away and plant yourself some trees, so that in 10 years or so, the embarrassment will start to go away.

Full disclosure: I own lakeshore property myself. I think people who live on a lake have a unique responsibility to stop bad practices, and encourage their neighbors to stop them too. My view is, if people want a view of the lake, they should get off their dead asses and walk down to the water.

And finally, has anyone actually improved on the classic dark brown log cabin color for lakeshore property? Add some white paint around the windows and you are set.

No comments: