Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Tuesday, March 15, 2005

A true experiment....

No magic snow this last week-oh, well, if it happened every winter, it wouldn't be magic. But my daughter and I did ski the section of the Lumberjack trail that runs by White Sand Lake...one mean hill climb that rises above the snowmobile trail, then you ski under big white pines rising above balsam-then White Sand opens out below you. Next you thread your way among the red pines along the steep slope...beautiful! We scared up some ruffed grouse there (or they scared us up!)

Everything was perfect BUT...the sound of snowmobiles was everpresent. I don't mean a low background hum, I mean some insane NASCAR screaming. People tell me with a straight face that snowmobiles are quieter now. I have been cross country skiing in the area for over 35 years, and all I can tell is that the noise has changed from "angry hornet" to "demented banshee wailing". My apologies to banshees.

I know there ARE quieter snowmobiles, because I have been surprised by them when I cross a trail. Two curves, and you hear them no more. But this means excessive snowmobile noise is no longer a necessary consequence of snowmobiling, it is a performance choice of a good many snowmobilers. The snowmobile lobby has fought reasonable noise restrictions, and snowmobile clubs are obviously not doing any "self policing".

Lets draw an analogy to ATV trails in Vilas County. The proposal: ATV enthusiasts will help "monitor" the "experimental trail". We should be very afraid of the success of such an artificial experiment. I suggest another experiment: Have skiers do "sound checks" each year from their favorite trails. Lets see whether the enthusiasts of one motorized sport can become good neighbors before we introduce another.

No comments: