Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Friday, July 10, 2009

My waterfront property is still there...

I double checked once again, and my lake property is still there, Richard Moore's screed notwithstanding. The DNR won't let me grow lawn down to the water's edge like I was a baron on an English country manor, because that would screw up the environment. The DNR won't let me built a party platform for a dock, because it would ultimately destroy the character of the lake I live on. The DNR will set some limits on how I build or remodel, because its job is to protect an incredible resource.

One can agree or disagree about particulars, but it is goofy to say we have a property right that prevents restrictions on what we do on northern lakes. In our Madison house, I can't put cars on blocks and leave them on my front lawn. I have to put in sidewalks if the village requires it.

IF we were enforcing absolute property rights, I would ban all human sounds coming in from outside my property. I didn't ask for them. I own a perfectly fine set of sound wave patterns created by the wind through the trees, woodpeckers, loons, and a perpetually offended red squirrel. No car noises, no dogs barking, no leaf blowers or chains saws. Keep your sound waves to yourself.

But it isn't this myopic version of libertarianism that bothers me-its the fact that the Lakeland Times editorial page has for years abandoned its role as an educator for people moving up to the Northwoods.

Lets say its not up to the DNR to regulate aesthetics-doesn't that mean newspapers have an even greater role in protecting the character of northwoods lakes? Shouldn't the Lakeland Times be spending at least as much time encouraging voluntary restraint in building near the water? Or Showing people how it is in their interest to do so in a way that preserves ?

No comments: