Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall..

A few thoughts on global warming and northern Wisconsin's drought.

Dylan's song seems totally appropriate. The hard rain in northern Wisconsin is no rain at all. Everyone laughs when they read a forecast that predicts "a chance" of rain.

Some are still talking about drought cycles, but more and more I suspect we are whistling past the graveyard. Scientists are using the words "historic" and "unprecedented".

I hope I am wrong, and I am of course no expert, but I think Northern Wisconsin is i the first stages of a calamity caused by a climate shift. Our lakes will never be the same. There is little that can be done. This calamity won't happen over centuries, but decades. We will watch it happen.

No comments: