Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Monday, September 10, 2007

Wisconsin Public Radio Report this morning...(scroll down for the transcript)

One problem is that the story was framed as a user group versus "environmentalists and conservationists". I suspect that many more people are against the trail than "environmentalists"

I though the comment by an ATV proponent, made in the original story but not fully quoted in the transcript, was revealing. Listening to the broadcast, He said ATV's have to be "trailered" out of the county now. That phrase struck me as very revealing. After all, if we are only talking about a couple of trails in the whole county, won't nearly everyone have to "trailer" their ATV to the new trails anyway? What is revealed is important: My guess is that some ATV users are really imagining being able to drive their ATV's out of their yards, onto town roads, and into the forest to get to the new trails. We are looking at a "snowmobile trail" system for ATV's. Or, some ATV users will be riding the forests that way, anyway, creating a "de facto" trail system throughout the forest.

No time for responding right now to the good natured replies I have been getting. I will get back to you soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure do hope you'll get back to us eventually Mark. Don't leave us hangin' forever.

As for the talk show the other night, my cell phone had bad reception. I had some unfinished business with Sue Drum and that still needs to come out on the table since Verizon Wireless failed me again. That is okay Sue...I've got it all down for when I see you at the meeting. I think things are much more personal when it is face to face anyhow.

As far as trailering goes, how would you like having to load up your bicycles or canoes and etc. each time you went to enjoy your sport? It would suck wouldn't it? I think it does and direct trail access is a must for this girl. I'm blessed with direct trail access in my neck of the woods and think that everyone should be entitled to it right along with posted speed limits and such. Nothing wrong with that.

You mentioned snowmobiles in another blog. Wouldn't you love to leave with your sled right out of your front yard? Absolutely. Why should this be any different from ATV's?

Maybe Joel can chime in here? I know you are reading this buddy! What do you think about this one? I'm very serious here.

Muddychick

Anonymous said...

"a user group versus "environmentalists and conservationists""

That's a pretty classy line! What "user group" would that be? :>)

I recently read an interesting definition of an "environmentalist": someone who is willing to make you suffer for his/her beliefs. Not bad, eh?

Kind of like the radical few who are opposing the ATV trail in the NH-AL. A trail that will only use a couple percent of the total land mass of the forest. A radical few who are willing to make all the ATVers who would contribute to the local economy, and all the businesses who would benefit by those contributions, suffer. All so the radical few can have a private playground at public expense. Shucks, the radical few don't even pay for their own playground--unlike the ATVers.

The Good News is that most people can see through the environmentalist elite's claims because most of us really don't want to suffer for the beliefs of the radical few.

bill