Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Sunday, August 05, 2007

Mid summer quiet!

I have noticed myself getting a little shrill lately about noise-a paradox, I suppose.

Last night we were sitting outside with guests, and cataloguing the soundscape. It was very quiet for a Saturday night at the beginning of August.

We heard mostly pileated woodpeckers and loons. About 5 minutes worth of firecrackers. From time to time, motorcycles with ornamental exhaust systems.

The Milky Way was nicely visiible, and I saw a shooting star.

The night before, with a bright moon, the coyotes were close, closer than I ever remember them here, on our side of the lake and across as well.

Don't let my ranting from time to time fool you. I am a little obsessive about noise. If you come to Vilas County, you will usually find your fill of quiet if you know where and when to look for it. Come on up!

No comments: