Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Thursday, August 09, 2007

Highway M to St. Germain on the Bike Trail...

I finally rode the new section of the "Heart of Vilas County" bike trail. Gina and I started at the Junction of M and N, and rode to Crystal Lake, where I jumped in for a swim. If you are new to the trail, and wanted to do a "beginner's section", this would be it. It is relatively flat, and you have the reward of ending up at Crystal Lake,(15 minutes, one way) or, by going a half hour, at the Corner Store for ice cream. Getting into Crystal Lake by bike is a real treat. I recommend on the way back taking the path to the Firefly lake campgrounds-there is a beautiful little run through a red pine forest that takes you off of highway N.

But I digress...After an ice cream at the Corner Store, (the kids working were real pros at customer service, and the ice cream cones were huge, but I digress again...)

After the ice cream, Gina and I parted ways, she back to the car, me onward towards St. Germain. I have already rode the section from the Corner Store to Sayner, which goes over a scenic bridge, and a nice view of Plum Lake. If you want an added scenic detour, head off to Plum Lake Campground.

It was in Sayner that I was on a new adventure. The trail follows through town on a very pleasant backstreet. Lots of businesses are putting up signs welcoming bikers. Out of Sayner on quiet town roads, and then into the quietest, most pleasant part of the Sayner-St. Germain section.

Editorial comment: Its important to know that the proposed ATV trail would run parallel to this section. Because bike trails need to generally run along highways and roads, there are fewer places for bikers to get away from road noise altogether. Bendrick drive along Trout Lake is one, the section into Crystal lake another, and this would be a significant third. If ATV's can run in the area, they will be taking away a significant part of the soundscape value of the bike trail. Please write the Natural Resources board and tell them you oppose ATV's in the Northern Highland-American Legion forest. You can write to: Laurie.Ross@Wisconsin.gov, and she will pass on your views.

Highway C is a relatively quiet road, making for a pleasant ride to Highway 70. Highway 70 is pretty much a straight shot into St. Germain, with a nice wayside at the bridge on the St. Germain river. Two detours I didn't make, but will investigate: A public fishing area off of Highway C, and a road to a natural area off of Highway 70. Both roads are gravel, as I remember.

As far as I can tell, the one thing I find lacking on the St.Germain part of the trail is a good swimmin' hole. If I am wrong, correct me. For that reason, I might recommend that if you did the entire heart of Vilas County trail, you start in St. Germain, so you could hit Crystal and Trout lake for a swim when you needed one.

No comments: