Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Friday, July 06, 2007

Silent Sports Exercise-turning off the flashlight...

Around midnight, my wife and I smelled smoke, so I did the manly thing and walked the perimeter of the property with flashlight and old broom handle. Could be someone's campfire along the lake, or the residue from fireworks, or maybe a distant forest fire. (This spring, we smelled a fire that was located in Northern Minnesota). I checked the outbuildings and the firepit. Nothing doing, smoke-wise.

The fireworks people had gone to find other distractions. It was as nature intended: quiet, still. I walked down towards the lake and when I got the nerve, I turned my flashlight off as I walked. Its funny, but you can see a lot more with the flashlight off.

The stars were shining. I saw a meteorite. Bullfrogs were croaking, along with other frog brethren. Coyotes were calling on the other side of the lake. Lots of splashes in the water. I resisted the temptation to look. (sometimes it is fun to privilege the ears rather than the eyes: What difference does it make what the splash "was"? It was a splash...

No comments: