Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Saturday, June 02, 2007

Fireworks are for the Fourth....

Can anyone explain to me why people want to come to a quiet, northern lake and shoot off fireworks? I mean, explain it in any way that doesn't include the word "stupid"?

I can only understand it in this sense: You probably can't launch fireworks in the city, because there are more people and cops in the city. There aren't as many people or cops in the northwoods, and the wildlife can't complain, so it is OK to punk them all.

Fireworks are technically illegal to blow off, but they can be sold in Wisconsin, supposedly for tourists to take back to Illinois. (can you explain this to me in any way that doesn't include the word "stupid"? ) But notice that most fireworks retailers are on the "heading north" side of the highway. In other words, all of this is a cynical scheme for a few people to make money off of the displeasure of the many. (most people who live on northern Wisconsin lakes don't blow off fireworks at night, and would prefer other people didn't as well).

I understand that this blog has a following among ATV enthusiasts, let me see if I have any fireworks enthusiasts. I will use small words. Remember: Loons are nesting this time of year. Lets not disturb them. Try enjoying the quiet instead. When you need excitement, close the windows and play a video game till you get back to the city. Light off your fireworks there. When the police come and explain why you can't do that, remember: The same reasons apply on Northern Wisconsin lakes. You are creating a disturbance.

4 comments:

Karma said...

I don't know, but considering it, you have a point. I guess that it is kind of stupid. Destroying the peace, huh? If you can , you can visit my blogg : www.almdonyjoy-lifesgood.blogspot.com/ thanks. I enjoyed your blog!

Mark Haag said...

Almondjoy;

Thanks!

I think I wrote "disturbing" not "destroying", the peace, but you got my point, I think. I actually like fireworks on the fourth, but not during "the quiet season", which is...well, anytime but the fourth. And not on small lakes, which ought to be considered quiet spaces.

I wasn't able to get to your blog through this link, though...yo might want to check it.

Anonymous said...

I've wondered why we think fireworks scare loons but thunderstorms right over the lake don't ????

I wish I could buy fireworks that light up the sky and create sounds like a nearby bolt of lightning...

Around here a good thunderstorm that gets stuck of the lake can go back and forth for at least an hour, perhaps 90 minutes, much longer than any private fireworks display...

Mark Haag said...

Anonymous;

I would be very happy for you to have fireworks that sounded like a bolt of lightening-as long as the sound stayed on your property!

You may have a point-perhaps fireworks are no worse for loons than thunderstorms.

On the other hand, perhaps a badly timed thunderstorm might be bad for loons as well. I don't know. We can't stop thunderstorms, however, and fireworks are an optional and illegal actiivity.

I would say the sound of some of the louder fireworks is quite loud, on a small lake. I am sure the particular firework has a name, but it is one that creates a Boom! wiht little visual display. Some thunder sounds that loud, but rarely.

Finally, the same reason should apply for not lighting fireworks in remote areas that applies in cities. People live in both places. The fact that fireworks annoys less people in the country doesn't seem to be a very good reason to make it OK-especially since most of the people in the country are there for the quiet.