Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Thursday, May 31, 2007

Summer goal number one: Investigative reporting questions....

Now that summer is here, and I have a little bit of a break, I have three goals for this blog. Goal number one is to do a little investigative reporting. Nothing earth shattering, just asking some questions and letting you know what I find. Blogs are criticized for being nothing but opinion. I will continue to "opinionate", but I will also search out some information?

Question number one: What's with all of the grooves in the banks on Highway M? I assume they are made by snowmobiles. Are the DNR and Vilas County aware of them? Is it legal for snowmobiles to ride the banks? Does anyone have an action plan for addressing this? I have left a message with Mike Sealander's "Ask a Warden" feature (you can link to it from the St.Germain chamber of commerce site), and will make some phone calls.

Question number two: What are Land O' Lakes and Presque Isle planning as far as links with the Heart of Vilas County trail system? I suspect Land O Lakes would love to connect through Boulder Junction. Are they considering "Old B" (I wrote about biking along Old B several years ago) or are they going along highway B? And will the proposed Manitowish Waters-Boulder link take the pressure off Presque Isle's connecting through Boulder?

No comments: