Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Public Trust Doctrine and Lakes

After hearing a discussion about Public Trust Doctrine in the Vilas County Lake Association meeting, I had been rolling the concept around in my mind. I spent the first 20 minutes talking about this doctrine in my ethics class. Since the class was in a circle, it was easy to just imagine that we were lakeowners. I was amazed at how easy it was for people to discuss the conflicts that might emerge between different conceptions of social ethics: property rights, utilitarian ethics, duties, and virtue ethics,

I wondered if it would be possible to develop a board game around this idea? You would have cards for different ethical stances, different situations (person A wants to have green lawn down to the water-person B wants to build a condo project, etc)

You would have a point system for the health of the lake, for property values, for natural aesthetic value, etc.

I am thinking of that interesting social science experiment where people take money out of a bowl, but if they cooperate, they get more money...etc.

This game could be set up at Lake association events, schools, etc.

No comments: