Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Pat Durkin: DNR needs a rumor debunker like Snopes

I always guide my students to Snopes.com early in the semester to teach then to squash urban legends and internet rumours. If you don't know about the site, please visit. When I recieve an internet rumor, I usually reply to the sender with a link to Snope's response.

Pat Durkin is a great resource himself in debunking Wisconsin outdoor rumors. (I confess, I used to think those little asian beetles that infest our houses were brought in by the DNR).

I find Wisconsin outoor rumors usually take the following form;

-Person A wants to do something in the northwoods.
-The DNR stands in his or her way.
-The rumor justifies the behavior that person A wants to do while showing the DNR to be fools.

No comments: