Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Friday, November 24, 2006

Gratitude...

I got to Boulder Wednesday night, and the stars were magnificent. I wasn't happy with the warm weather, and I wasn't happy with the crappy rock music that drifted through the trees, taking away the silence that should go with the night. "Be thankful you can hear that well!", Gina says.

I get anxious at times about having this place, and this place having us. Over the next 20 years, more and more land will be developed north of town. Will there be more "frontier types", thinking that being up north will mean they can do what they want? Or will they be "wilderness neighborhood types", people who appreciate being here for the attributes the northwoods has?

I try to stay grateful for the moments of silence that I get. I can encourage, but I can't control. In the morning, when I refill the birdfeeders, I hear the nasal "Gonk!" of nuthatches.

No comments: