Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Monday, September 18, 2006

More on silence...

While driving away from Northern Wisconsin, I was listening to WXPR. I can never remember the name of the commentator who lives on a lake"somewhere East of Eagle River", but I really enjoy him. He had a good quote from Seneca- Only on WXPR will you get a quote from Seneca: "Men trust their eyes more than their ears". I think Seneca was talking about rumours, but I think this applies to what I was feeling the night before. Acorns were being crunched. Should I turn on the light to see what was making the noise? Or, do I already have my prey: the noise in the night?

The battle between what we see and what we hear seems central in the northwoods. You don't really experience the northwoods until you stop focusing on sightseeing, and listen.

And that leads me to a great article in Silent Sports by Jim Jocque this last month called "The Search for Silence". I had a good quote from that ready to hand, as well, but now I can't find it. so pick up the magazine
http://www.silentsports.net/features_and_departments.html#features and you will also get a great article on the upper Wisconisn river, which gets a thumbs up this time from Mike Svob.

No comments: