Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Friday, August 04, 2006

Wisconsin River Part Four...

I slept really well the second night-too well, actually, I was disappointed that I didn't wake up to hear anything interesting. However, I woke up at that great time when it is light enough to see, but the sun isn't up yet. The world was very naturally cool and quiet. I looked for signs of animal prints, but didn't see any new ones.

After a while, I woke Amanda up. After yesterday, we wanted to get out early before the wind started blowing. We had loaded up the canoe, and I had just reached to tie a rope, when it happened....

Intense Pain. Lower back. Felt nothing like it.

I remember feeling a bit lightheaded, it was that bad.

My daughter was concerned, so I wasn't putting up a good front. We had nothing we could do but go on, so we did. I was in agony getting into the canoe, but once there, the pain subsided to a dull, consistent ache.

So we proceeded. I have to say that the stretch from Woodman to Millville was my favorite of the paddle. You get to see the entrance of the Kickapoo, a river Amanda and I love. There were lots of wonderful hidden animal sounds from the banks. I think we heard a wild pig...it sounded like a pig to both of us. We saw lots of bald eagles, immature bald eagles, and maybe an Osprey. There are some beautiful sandbars for swimming. There were less moments of traffic noise. At one point, the river bumps right up against a bluff....

I enjoyed myself so much, that I mostly forgot about my back. But when we pulled up at Millville and I got out of the cano I knew it was the end. I couldn't move to sit or lay down without pain. Later, the doc said I had "back spasms", which sounded wonderfully non-surgical. I have never had real back pain before.

Since I don't want to end on a medical note, I want to leave with a few observations: Small roads you have never been on before are particularly beautiful. I encourage you to drive (quietly) on highway C along the river.

After you have been on the water a long time, don't you see the river when you close your eyes?

No comments: