Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Thursday, July 06, 2006

coyotes howling...fireworks are for the fourth...

We were sitting around the firepit last night when the wind finally died down.

The water was perfectly still, the loons were making the "where are you?" call, and you could hear wood thrushes playing the scales across the lake. Those are to me the sounds I think of most when I think of northern Wisconsin. Then, all of a sudden, we heard the coyotes howling. I was surprised how exuberant they sounded. It was perfect for a little while.

Then, the crappy sounds of fireworks erupted from various points around us. I think there should be a law against non-professional fireworks, myself (Oh wait-there IS a law against it!). But given that they are here, I say we have a "Fireworks for the Fourth" campaign. Fireworks can be set off the weekend closest to the fourth, then after that, "let the north be the north". After all, the only reason people launch fireworks here is because people would complain if they did it at home. Why should the rest of us be punked?

Anyone know how many fires are set by fireworks in Wisconsin?

No comments: