Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Sunday, June 18, 2006

"Hobbies Can't be Enforced"

A good father's day column by Pat Durkin. Pat discusses the truth that many kids don't follow their parent's interest in sports like hunting and fishing, and we probably can't regulate interest back. The title in today's Wisconsin State Journal is "Hobbies can't be enforced".

What hobbies did you recieve from your parents? Which did you give up on?

I gave up on golf-I seem incapable of following my golf ball, even on those rare occasions that I hit the ball on the fairway. I like the smell of grass, and the way everything seemed bathed in a fresh coat of sunlight.

I did learn to appreciate the outdoors from my Father. Highlights: The magic of a late night smelting trip on Lake Superior in the U.P., the taste of eating fried eggs outdoors on a canoe trip on Little Rice creek, the feel of catching a large mouth bass on a Rapala, most of all, the pleasure of following a trail in the woods.

What hobby have I passed on to my daughter? Sitting silently in a canoe, resisting the urge to paddle while the current takes you wherever it takes you.

No comments: