Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Wednesday, March 22, 2006

My father in law's silent sport...For Dad Dudek

My father in law passed away just over a week ago, and while my wife Gina said he had lived a fortunate life, death still sucks. My father-in-law wasn't a silent sports enthusiast, his saying was "do your work first, then sit". He did a lot of work-at the railroad all night, then home to milk cows, sleeping in the car in between. When it got cold enough, he woke up, and then it was time to milk. When Gina told me this, I wondered what he thought about out there in the cold driveway. Was he a secret silent sport enthusiast? I spent many years working nights. You experience something different about the world in that time, walking from car to building. "But if a man would be alone, let him look at the stars. The rays that come from those heavenly worlds will separate between him and what he touches"-Emerson

Dad didn't talk like this, but another of his sayings was "you don't have to say everything you know".

No comments: