Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Monday, December 12, 2005

Last weekend of quiet season....

I had a great ski around the lake Saturday morning on a beautiful pair of Asnes I picked up last year at a garage sale. I am not very clever about waxing, but sometimes I get it right by luck and when I do, there is nothing like it!

After circumnavigating the lake, I climbed into the woods to follow a logging trail straight northwest. I broke a skipole on the way up, sliding on some leaves (there really isn't enough snow for sensible cross country skiing, but I was "quiet hunting" and you have to go before the big snows!

The trail runs through a balsam lane, then into a mature aspen stand, then into a mixed pine forest, and finally into a beautiful old white pine forest. (At least old by logging standards!) I was discouraged to see the red markings indicating logging is going to take place there. I am assuming by what I have heard from the DNR that the big whites are not coming down, but we will see. I would prefer to see that area around Grassy Lake and Grassy Creek be left as wild as possible. If you get a chance, snowshoe into that area from Partridge Lane. It is quite rough at first, but well worth your while when you get to the White Pines.

No comments: