Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Thursday, August 25, 2005

From Boulder to Land O' Lakes via "Old B"

This was an "accidental trip" that started out when I was looking for a foot path to the DNR canoe campsites on High Lake. I wrote about these sites previously when I was describing a paddling trip down the Manitowish. During that trip I saw an intriguing path leading north from one of the campsites. I guessed that the path probably hit the East/West snowmobile trail, and resolved to find it one day. And so later in the summer, on a 90 degree day, it seemed like a good idea for a small exploration..
After several missteps, I found the path, took a swim in the clear water, and feeling energized, decided to follow the snowmobile trail that headed east. It was hot, but I had a bottle of water, and was encouraged by the raspberry bushes sprinkled on the way. Before I knew it, I was on Highway B, near enough to the boat landing and the start of "OLD B". You can hardly go wrong exploring any road that starts with the word "Old". Well, maybe you can, but if you have a hybrid or mountain bike, the first 3/4's of "old B" rides like a dream. I thought I would follow it for a little way, but I kept wanting to see what was beyond the next turn. I soon resolved to ride till my water bottle was half empty, then return. The road is canopied most of the way, so I was shielded from the worst of the heat. You will go by bog lakes, deep older forests, and a few cutover areas. The road is sandy, with some gravel, but very packed down. The Eastern third of "old B" is hillier, and you will want to be careful at the bottom of hills. I took the road during a hot, dry summer, I could imagine that the hills could be rutty in rainy weather. I passed Jute and Indian Lake roads on the right, and I tucked the information away for future trips.
I soon came to the point of return, when I told myself I ought to turn back. But I went just a little further, and came to the paved road that rings Forest Lake. From there, I was quickly out to Highway B and a wonderful Oasis called "Miller's Market" Miller's has groceries, sandwiches, pizza, ice cream, air conditioning(!) and I found, on summer Sundays, live music in the afternoon. Miller's is also the West end of the Land O' Lakes bike trail, so I had found the way to make an off highway bike trip from Boulder to Land O' Lakes. I was too tired to make the trip all the way to Land O' Lakes and back, so I headed back to Boulder, leaving the Land O' lakes bike trail segment for another day.

Directions:

Boulder Junction to Land O' Lakes Off County Highways. I recommend from the length and isolation of the trip that you take a partner, and make it a "one way trip". Looks like lots of good places to eat and drink in Land O' Lakes!

Go North of Boulder alongside Highway M. You can follow the snowmobile path, or ride on M, which has a bike lane until you get to the Manitowish River.

Take a right on "High-Fishtrap Road". This is a quiet, non-hilly two lane forest road that starts out as a long straight stretch, then takes a 90 degree turn to the left as Fishtrap dam road (a dirt road) goes straight. I recommend going early in the morning, you may see one of the many albino deer that reside in the area. Soon, you will go past Fishtrap Lake road on the right, and "High-Fishtrap" becomes "High Lake" road. Continuing for a few miles, you will pass Grassy Lake on the left (stop for a minute in the quiet open area around Grassy Lake) and cross over Grassy creek. Soon, you will come to a fork in the road, with Ridge Road going to the right, and High to the left. Continue on High lake road. You will soon go by several bog lakes on the right, including "Minnie lake".

Now, here is the tricky part. Its only a little tricky. You will come up to a short, one block long lane on the left hand side of the road with an unfortunate hill. Hey, its only a block long. Climb the hill, and you will hit a two block long road running perpendicular to you. (sort of hitting the top of a letter"T") Turn along the left hand branch of the T, and look over to your right . You will see a berm (a pile of dirt to prevent vehicles from riding onto a path), and a little way in, the snowmobile trail. Be patient. It is there. Easier to see in spring than summer.

Once you are on the snowmobile trail, go to the right (East) and have a fun ride. Except for the occasional log across the trail, the riding is fine in dry weather. You may have some luck with blueberries and Raspberries along the way.

The trail eventually crosses Highway B. You have the option of following the snowmobile trail, or cheating a bit by turning right and riding on Highway B itself.

Highway B goes past the High Lake/Manitowish River Boat landing on the Right, then you will quickly see High Lake Road (different from the previous High Lake road!) on the right. "Old B" is on the left, just a little way in from High Lake Road.

Follow Old B for quite a while. You will go past a gravel pit, with a "road closed" sign. There was no action in the gravel pit this weekend, I don't know if it might be busy during the week, but it didn't look like a problem if you stayed on the path.

Old B goes past Jute Lake Road on the right, then Indian Lake Road. After it comes out on Forest Lake Road, a paved road, take a left, and you can ride in style to highway B, knowing that well deserved refreshments await you at Miller's. One end of the Land O' Lakes bike trail starts here, so there is a nice parking lot available.

No comments: