Promoting quiet recreation in Wisconsin.
Opposing the coming attempts to sell off Wisconsin's natural heritage.
Fighting denial about climate change. When are we hitting the streets?


Sunday, February 27, 2005

Discussion with Mr. Leith...

I had an interesting conversation with Dennis Leith, NHAL Forest Superintendent this afternoon.
-Mr Leith stated that he IS looking for a place in Vilas County for an experimental ATV trail.
-The DNR is experiencing a great deal of pressure from ATV groups and from people in power.
-Mr. Leith says the trail will not connect directly with any local towns.
-I told him my basic concerns: That we still don't have a handle on snowmobile noise, and that snowmobile clubs are resisting what seem to me to be eminently reasonable proposals to limit noise http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/jul04/243181.asp . I also mentioned the strong opposition of the people in Vilas County to ATV trails, and the fact that the DNR is already stretched thin.
-Mr. Leith seemed sympathetic to my concerns. He is obviously dealing with what he calls the "most contentious issue" in what he feels is the only responsible way he can. I think, though, that an experimental trail is the proverbial "camel's nose in the tent". I have the following questions:

-Who will determine the standards of the experiment? In other words, under what conditions will the trail be considered a failure or success? Who develops the standards, and who provides the evaluation?
-If the experimental ATV trail is deemed a failure, will that signify an end to the DNR's development of ATV trails in the NHAL state forest?
-If the experimental ATV trail is deemed a success, will that signify further development of ATV trails in the NHAL state forest?
-Finally, what input will local communities have in the development and planning of this trail, and the evaluation of its success or failure?

quietnorth wants to know. I hope someone reading this will help find the answers-if I find anything out, I will let you know....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just testing...